As a federally and state mandated institution located at Cornell University, our mission is to advance water resource management and address critical water resource problems in New York State and the nation. We build towards this mission by leveraging our unique access to scientific and technical resources at Cornell University and in collaboration with partners, to:
- Conduct and support research on emerging water resource issues
- Connect a statewide network of water resource researchers to managers and policymakers
- Inspire and educate the next generation of water resource scientists and professionals
- Improve communication among educators, managers, and policymakers by identifying, developing, and providing resources
- Promote water literacy with the general public
WRI works closely with Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE), Community and Regional Development Institute (CaRDI), New York Sea Grant (NYSG), Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future (ACSF), Center for Sustainable Global Enterprise, Cornell Program in Infrastructure Policy (CPIP), Syracuse University Environmental Finance Center (SU-EFC), and the Northeast Regional Climate Center (NRCC).
In addition, WRI collaborates with several faculty members from the following Cornell departments: Architecture and Planning, Biological and Environmental Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Policy Analysis and Management, Johnson School of Business, Natural Resources.