Place-based study of the Hudson River Estuary Watershed help students meet learning standards while building connections to their location environment. The Hudson River Estuary Program has created interdisciplinary lessons that use the river to build understandings and skills. These lessons and activities are intended for students of all ages ranging from Kindergarten through High School, and include resources from partnered groups in the region.
Virtual River Curriculum: online lesson plans and activities to explore the Hudson River Estuary Watershed from our distance learning locations.
Lesson Plans: from New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and Hudson River Estuary Program.
Migratory Fish Curriculum
- Migration of the American Eel (Presentation/Student Worksheet)
- Where do American Eels Come From? (Lesson Plan/Map)
- Mapping the Migration of American Eels (Lesson Plan/Student Worksheet/Map)
- Create an Eel Habitat
- Eel Relay Lesson
- American Eel Board Game
- River Runners: Tracking Striped Bass (Reading/Lesson Plan/Map 1/Map 2)
Water and Watersheds
- Watershed Address (Lesson Plan/Presentation)
- Model Your Watershed (Lesson Plan/Presentation- please email firstname.lastname@example.org for PowerPoint with voiceover)
- Build a Watershed!
- How Much Water is on Earth?
- All the Water on Earth (Lesson Plan/Presentation)
Plant and Animal Interactions
- Biodiversity Poster
- Adaptations (Presentation)
- Adaptations: Designs for Survival (Lesson Plan)
- Adapting to Estuaries (Lesson Plan)
- There's no Place Like Home (Lesson Plan/Presentation)
- What Do Animals Need to Stay Alive? FOOD! (Lesson Plan)
- What Do Animals Need to Stay Alive? HABITAT! (Lesson Plan)
Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (SAV)
- SAV in (and out of) the Classroom (Lesson Plan)
- Wild Water Celery K-3/Wild Water Celery 4-7
- Water Celery Story
- Aquatic Plant Adaptations Model Building
- Water Celery Visual/Water Celery Fact Sheet/Water Celery Sketch
Weather and Climate Curriculum
- Weather Observation
- Investigating Climate Change (Worksheet/Conservationist for Kids)
- Investigating Sea Level Rise in the Hudson Valley (Lesson Plan/Web Quest)
General Hudson Valley History